I DON’T KNOW how Duncan Sheik and Kula Shaker are actually related to one another. Yeah, Duncan Sheik the popular American singer and songwriter in the 90s, for those who don’t know, and Kula Shaker the English rock band.
How are they related? Well… wait, of course comrades, they are NOT at all!
So how on earth I got them very wrongly several days ago, I really had no idea.
On Valentine’s day, Feb 14, I thought I was gonna watch my first cool gig in 2011: Kula Shaker performing live at Hard Rock Cafe, but well… I got a Duncan Sheik instead [plus Rachael Yamagata]. Turned out, I misheard them. How strange, how stupid, to come to a gig thinking you were going to see some-bands-else.
Duncan Sheik at the Hard Rock Cafe Jakarta. Photo: Arientha.
“I told you we are going to see DUNCAN SHEIK, not KULA SHAKER. You need to stop being autistic and listen to what people say,” my dear gig-partner, Arientha, preached me while showing me Mr Sheik’s cute-younger-face on the entry ticket.
Yes, I only knew I was gonna see Duncan Sheik minutes before the show. Sigh. BIG sigh.
Maybe she was right, I should have listened to her. Maybe… there you go my first cool 2011 gig.
But lessons learned:
1. It is stoopid to not listen to your friends.
2. It is very exhausting to stand up for hours for some bands you don’t really like. Sorry, you don’t like, you don’t even know a single song of theirs.
3. Duncan Sheik is a nervous guy or in a friend’s words: “he’s shy, so endearing.”
4. I don’t really enjoy pop music.
5. I loathe bars or “cafes” with so many people smoke in front of your face. I don’t understand how people could breathe the air, and even pay for it.
6. Rachael Yamagata didn’t know, along with many people who smoked in the cafe I presume, Jakarta’s recent regulation on indoor smoking ban.
Rachael Yamagata. She was very communicative! Photo: Arientha.
“Hey, you better check your ticket, is it really MGMT you’re going to see in March?” a friend suggested me, cynically.
Oh yeah, it is MG-fuckin-MT I am gonna so see in March!! No mistake, only self-consciousness rules here
Hooray! Happy belated Valentine’s day, people.
Happy Valentine from us all <3 Ah, I kinda love my hair here teehee. Photo: Hera’s friend.